Friday, July 16, 2010

I love fonts, I mean typestyles


Fonts turn me on. Is that weird? Some people say it is. Some people see the glazed over look I get when I talk about serifs, ascenders, descenders, and all the unique curves of different fonts ... and they think I'm nuts.

Okay, I am nuts, but fonts are important to me. I am a graphic designer after all.

Recently, I learned that "font" is not the correct word to use. There is a big difference between a font and a typestyle. I love them all, so it was interesting to learn.

According to our good, always accurate, friend, Wikipedia, the difference is:

"The distinction between font and typeface is that a font designates a specific member of a type family such as roman, boldface, or italic type, while typeface designates a consistent visual appearance or style which can be a "family" or related set of fonts. For example, a given typeface such as Arial may include roman, bold, and italic fonts."


Wow ... I bet that you didn't know that.

I appreciate the type designers that have the wonderful job of creating all these cool typestyles to use, even if I download only the free ones.

So ... now that you know a little about me and my love of typestyles, you can see why this pic makes me giggle!







No comments:

Post a Comment